The Readable English learning program supports a three-step process: learn, reinforce and read. A teaching guide with a scripted lesson plan guides teachers through the process.
Step 1 – Learn
Students learn the Readable English system, including the standard sounds of letters, greyed out silent characters and syllable breaks, and the Readable English glyphs.
- Fun, catchy videos and songs
- Online lessons
- Printable worksheets and class participation games
Step 2 – Reinforce
Students reinforce letter and glyph sounds while building key reading skills.
- Skill building apps
- Printable games and activities
- An entire dictionary available on the website and as an app
Step 3 – Read
Students start practising and improving their reading skills using the website, printable reading activities, books and the eReader, where teachers and students can convert text into Readable English.
- A Reading Practice Module with 6 levels of short stories with comprehension questions
- Documents and other materials can be converted into Readable English in the eReader
- Printable reading practice worksheets
- eBooks are available in the bookstore
Converting your class materials into Readable English
Readable English is a decoding tool designed to be integrated with any class curriculum. The eReader is a conversion tool that converts text into Readable English, giving teachers the flexibility to create and to use their own content with the Readable English mark up.
- Convert any text into Readable English
- Share documents with students electronically
- Print out documents marked up in Readable English
Using the eReader, students can choose how they want to set up their reading experience. They can start with their documents in Readable English and then can turn the markings off for each word they already know, or they can start with Standard English and then click only on the words they struggle with. Whichever way they choose, Readable English is like training wheels for reading. The phonetic markings are a support for accurate and confident decoding until they are no longer needed.